Cooper Oil rigs

Crude oil prices must up again :)  Getting lots of calls on the oil pulling rigs lately.  So far we have been bale to help, but since all sorts of AC engines were used, it tough to know what I’m helping with until I see it.  If you plan to call for help, shoot a picture on your phone and have it ready to text or email.  I can usually identify it quickly once I see it.  usually I can figure it out over the phone and get what customers need, but the photo is always helpful!

D15 Rice

Well it was fun bragging about it, but this isn’t a hobby, it’s a business.  So the D15 Rice model has been sold.  Headed to Canada.  I think I’ll go sit on it a while and drive it just so I can remember it.  Nah, I’m gonna clear space in the shop to work on the D15 I’m keeping :)

Getting Hot!

We’ve been running very unseasonably cool, but I think it’s over.  Getting 95+ in the next few days.  I have been gone much of the last month for different personal events and taking care of some home items.  Probably should have finished up the CA and spent time on the D15 Rice model while it was cool, but I just had too many irons in the fire.

Next item on the horizon is some manufacturing opportunities.  Plastic parts, laser etching, etc.  Classes start tonight and take the next month to get through.  Hopefully some new AC items will be here soon.

D15 Rice Model

Even a blind Squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

We purchased a D15 with odd fenders and support.  After a little research we have determined it must be the Rice Model.  What is challenging is that only the parts books lists any reference to the rice model.  No one has come forward owning one, nor has anyone claimed to have seen one.

The tractor is for sale and if you are interested, please contact us directly.  I’ll post up a few photos and see if you can see the differences.

IMG_20140625_111924

IMG_20140625_111952

IMG_20140625_125928

IMG_20140625_125937

Another “discovery” and I’m out of midnight oil

It’s almost 3am and I finally called it a day.  Running since 8am.

The CA gave me  a final surprise as I prepped it to run.  Here’s what I found after removing the oil filter:

IMG_20140609_135038How on earth do you get that much water in the oil?   So the filter base had to be removed, and passages cleaned out.  It was as if someone had pumped tar into the port.  But it cleaned up and finally flowed oil.

So after trying to start, I tore down the carb and found a plugged jet.  At 2:30 am, she finally came to life.  Still needs tuning, and the proper wires, but here it is:

 

 

The tractor of “don’t”

We after getting into the engine, I am seeing many of the “don’ts” that another repairman put in.  Wrong rod nuts, sleeves not  cleaned, wrong head bolts, and so much more.

One very common mistake I see is machinists wanting to put umbrella seals on the valvestems:
IMG_20140605_125929

The Allis Engines DO NOT USE THEM.  Please don’t add them thinking that they will control oil consumption.  If you are using oil this will only make the stems run  dry and wear faster.

 

Here’s a photo of why leaving exhaust open/uncovered in rain is bad.  Water collects on the valves, and here is the result:

IMG_20140605_125935

Oh no! A cracked block!

IMG_20140603_191042I get calls on these at least once a month.  Sometimes a couple a week.  This is the block for the CA in the shop.  There is a crack between the cylinders.  This is very common on Allis engines, especially the 125 and the 201/226 blocks.  I always have a hard time convincing customers that it is common, and really nothing to worry about.  The liner seals to a fire-ring on the head gasket, and the fiber portion of the gasket will seal the water.  What matters is the lower webbing. In this case it looks OK, but there is so much sludge inside I will have to clean to inspect.  However from the lower side, it looked fine.

Don’t replace that block unless it is cracked on the lower webbing.  I’ve had customers replace and spend large amounts of money for a block they didn’t need.

 

This is why you don’t pull a stuck engine

You never know what you are up against until you pull the valve cover and the head.  1 stuck valve could have been a bent pushrod.  1 stuck piston could have been a bent connecting rod.

So the CA is in the shop and coming apart.  So far:

Antifreeze under valve cover,
Wrong head bolts (they had been replaced with studs)
Stuck Valve
Stuck piston
Loose sleeve (actually from my hitting the starter after the head was off)

So… At least rebuild head, and clean up bore on 1 piston.  Possibly have to rebuild engine.  Won’t know until I pull oil pan and inspect rods and mains.  Oh, by the way, this engine was previously rebuilt.

IMG_20140520_174519

IMG_20140520_174606

IMG_20140520_175040

IMG_20140520_172400

IMG_20140520_172422

IMG_20140520_174514

I’m tired.  I think I will call it a day and speak with the customer tomorrow.

JimD

Almost got the CA started

Had a nice visit from a customer from WI.  We couldn’t fit a pair of 12×28 rims in his hybrid, so he took a couple of small parts.  Kinda took the rest of the day off to spend with my sons running errands.  Had planned to mow with the Allis 712 Hydro, but it has been dying after about 30 minutes of use.  Gave the engine a shot of sea foam, and worked it hard for 40 minutes.  Success!  So I headed for the back country to mow some older trails we don’t use often.  Of course near the back, it sputtered and died.  Not Success.  Used the golf cart to drag it back to the shop.  Definitely the exhaust valve hanging up.  Plan to pull head and put eyes on the valve.  Will try to include pics.